Do you know that yoga is beneficial for the body? Aside from being a stress buster, yoga is also effective in shedding off all those excess fats, as well as making your heart much healthier. Several studies have shown the many health benefits of yoga workout, from reducing stress to boosting overall body health.
Can’t afford to attend yoga classes? Don’t have time to get to yoga session? No problem! The good news is you can start a yoga workout in the comfort of your home. Check these different yoga poses and start losing those annoying flab:
Whatever type of exercise, warm-up is very essential. Warming up helps you reduce risk of injuries, as well as, aches and pain that come with exercise. Here is an example of warm-up you may want to do before you work out:
Image courtesy of http://www.westvalley.edu/
- Begin by sitting down in a comfortable mat with your legs crossed. Then, gently raise your arms over your head and stretch upward, pushing your pelvis towards the floor. Be careful not to arch your back. Hold on to that for about 30 seconds.
- Then, stretch your arms to the left for 30 seconds. Return to the center after.
- Again, stretch your arms, but this time, to the right for 30 seconds. Return to the center after.
2. Cobra Pose
Start the first yoga pose – the Cobra Pose. This is beneficial for buttocks and abs.
Image courtesy of http://www.yogamagazine.com/
- Lie down on the yoga mat, facing down with the top of your feet flat against the ground.
- Push your legs and hips down. Put your hands under your shoulders, and your palms on the mat, spreading your fingers apart.
- Push into your hands, lift your head, and put your back and chest off the yoga mat. Gaze upward.
- Push your shoulders back and slowly feel the stretch. Breathe a few times.
- Relax in a prone position.
3. Wind-Releasing Pose
This kind of yoga workout pose is mostly beneficial for the abdominal area.
Image courtesy of http://fitnessplus.ru/
- Lie down on your back on the yoga mat. Lift your knees up together with your ankles to your chest.
- Bring your head up off the floor, clasping your arms together over your knees.
- Breathe deeply, and feel the stretch. Relax.
4. Bow Pose
This is an advanced yoga workout pose that is most beneficial for the legs, arms, and abdominal area.
Image courtesy of http://www.satyaliveyoga.com.au/
- On the yoga mat, lie down on your stomach. Bend your knees upward and grab your feet.
- Pull your stomach in and upwardly extend your feet while raising the upper part of your body. Make sure to keep your shoulder blades down and back.
- Breathe slowly and deeply for several times. Then, relax.
5. Warrior I Pose
This yoga pose is beneficial for thighs, arms, and muscles in your back.
Image courtesy of http://www.creativesoulinmotion.com/
- In a straight standing position, begin this pose by stepping your left leg 4-5 feet behind you.
- Keep your front foot (right) pointing straight ahead, and your back foot (left) pointing to the front left corner of your mat.
- Keep your legs firm in their position.
- Put both arms together over your head, stretching up toward the ceiling.
- Breathe for several times, then relax.
6. Cool Down
Immediately after your yoga workout, it’s essential to cool down. Cooling down helps you prevent any injuries or muscle soreness that comes with exercise. Here is one way to cool down:
Image courtesy of http://yoga.about.com/
- Fold your yoga mat and sit on top of it in an easy pose. Put your hands on top of your knees and let them rest.
- Close your eyes and bring your attention on your breath. Do this for 5-10 minutes.
Yoga workout is considered a very effective way to lose weight. But not only that, it is also essential for overall health and well-being. It helps manage stress, and keeps the body relaxed. It also reduces the risk of developing certain health conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes. Furthermore, it improves flexibility, muscle strength, energy, and respiration. So if it seems that none of your exercise routine is helping you burn calories and improve your health, try yoga. And remember to also combine it with a healthy diet to reap maximum benefits.